Position: Education Guide - Iceland (Topic: Renewable Energy Innovation & Sustainability)
Location: Reykjavik & South Coast, Iceland
Type: Contractor, Paid
Start date: August 2021. Hiring Education Guides from Aug 2021 - Dec 2022
TO APPLY, EMAIL YOUR RESUME & A DESCRIPTION OF YOUR EXPERIENCE, INTERESTS, AND SKILLS TO MELISSA@THEGREENPROGRAM.COM. Hiring immediately. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
The GREEN Program (TGP) is an award-winning, experiential education program focused on sustainable development. We've been running programs in Iceland and hosting university students around the world since 2012. We are so excited to restart travel with our sustainability cohorts this August! We are seeking program guides in Iceland who are eager to make an impact in Iceland for our upcoming programs (8-10 days each) from Aug 2021-Dec 2022.
As a Educational Program Guide for The GREEN Iceland Program, you must have a strong passion for sustainable development, education, customer service, an entrepreneurial spirit, a sense of adventure, and the drive to make a positive impact in the world.
TGP staff must represent the company in a professional and responsible manner and understand that the quality of our educational experiences and customer service are taken very seriously and held in a high regard. You will work alongside our local parters, guides, and faculty and be responsible for student groups up to 45 people in each group for 8-10 day programs in Iceland focused on renewable energy innovation and sustainability. TGP Programs also serve as personal and professional development platforms for our participants. Our participants are mostly undergraduate students 18-25 years old or young professionals representing different institutions and countries from around the world. These students choose to travel with TGP to gain hands-on, practical industry exposure, learn about a new country, different types of sustainability technologies, engage in once in a lifetime activities, and return home as thought leaders with practical, global, industry experience sustainability.
- Coordinates activities with all other functions of the program including university and logistics communications
- Provides educational support throughout the program (you will NOT be responsible to teach the course or classes; however, you will be responsible to facilitate capstone projects. See below).
- Establishes and maintains procedures and quality control standards
- Provides guidance regarding expectation management, logistics, safety, planning, customer service, and needs.
- Ensures all established quality, and delivery commitments are met.
- Works the entirety of the 8 or 9 day programs with the students (your housing, meals, transport, access to site visits and tours will be paid for).
- Performs administrative activities associated with the effective management of program operations
- Determines the responsibilities of assigned ambassadors/mentors to accomplish program objectives, if applicable.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Presenting and facilitating Capstone Project development:
More info: One of your main roles will be to present and facilitate student cohorts with their Capstone Projects. Capstone Project: Interdiciplinary team projects that are entrepreneurial based, and focused on leaving a positive impact on the world through one of the seventeen Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Group presentations are between 15-20 minutes long and presented for faculty the cohort and faculty at Reykjavik University as a part of their course assessment. With training, you will be responsible for explaining the project in presentation form as well as facilitiating group excercises throughout the program for capstone development.
Program Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate with faculty, guides, and staff involved to enhance experiential learning opportunities/ overall student experience.
- Mentor and facilitate student capstone projects, support their personal and professional development, and help expand their renewable energy and sustainability knowledge
- Report daily with TGP HQ regarding the students, group dynamic, problems, ways to improve, on an on-going basis.
- Respond to student questions and provide critical information (i.e. Health and Safety).
- Escort students on tours and activities alongside tour partners.
- Monitor student activities to ensure compliance with establishment or tour regulations and safety practices.
- Engage students to make them feel comfortable in the country while inhabiting a safe and creative environment for personal student growth
- Provide physical safety of groups, performing such activities as providing first aid and directing emergency evacuations.
Position Qualifications & Competencies
- Knowledge and capabilities normally acquired through 1 to 5 years’ experience in a field related to international education, guiding, customer service industry as well as a relevant educational background through a Bachelor's degree or higher.
- Must be fluent in English
- Must be a resident of Iceland
- Must be a self-starter, exmplify leadership skills, and be comfortable facilitating group discussions and public speaking
- Experience with conflict resolution and mediation
- Direct experience in the renewable energy or sustainability industry is a plus!
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks in a busy schedule. The ability to perform long hours (8+ hours) including evening and weekend works. Followed by periodic domestic and international travel.
- Provide physical safety of groups, performing such activities as providing first aid and directing emergency evacuations. CPR Certified is a plus.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively; Listens and gets clarification when necessary; Responds informatively to questions; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and concisely; Edits work; Varies writing style to meet specific needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Interpersonal Skills - Listens to others attentively; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things; Maintains confidentiality; Maintains relationships with others.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Empathizes with clients; Solicits customer feedback to improve service.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems time efficiently; Gathers and analyzes information; Develops solutions; Uses reason.
- Required to participate in demanding physical activities (hiking, super jeeping, adventure excursions, water excursions, hot springs, outdoor camping, etc.).
- Occasionally required to bend, lift or climb.
- Hand coordination required.
- Exposure to adverse conditions.
- Exposure to extreme cold.
- Exposure to wet conditions.
- Exposure to moving mechanical parts.
- Exposure to high, precarious places.
- Exposure to outside weather conditions.
- Occasionally protective clothing or equipment is required and available for use including gloves, helmets, boots, protective eyewear, etc.
- Will lead/work closely with other employees and partners doing similar work
- May supervises returning ambassadors and university faculty partnership contacts on site
As a Minority and Woman-owned business, The GREEN Program is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to and celebrates diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.